The summer is just around the corner and for most of us that means weekend trips to the beach, hanging by the pool, evening walks, and grilling out with family and friends. While the summer brings fun in the sun it can also bring some not so fun times – SUNBURN.
As a child, my mom would apply the sunscreen every hour. I was taken care of and had no need to worry. As I reached my teenage years, sitting by the pool or beach getting bronzed became fun and something I loved about summer months. In high school, I went on a beach trip with friends. At this age, I rarely bothered with using sunscreen because I only wanted darker skin and I thought sunscreen was blocking the sun from me altogether-I was very wrong! Needless to say, I got burned. Severely burned! Sitting out in the sun for 7 hours with no protection in my cute bikini was not the best idea.
I still love being in the sun as it gives me time to relax and read – two things I rarely have time for these days! Although now, I have learned from many severe sunburns that not using sunscreen all can be very damaging to my skin and my future.
Here are some helpful tips for beach trips, pool days, and days out in the sun during the summertime:
- The experts say that using the ridiculously high SPF sunscreens are useless. Instead, go for a SPF between 15 and 60.
- Remember to reapply every 2-3 hours. Many sunscreens rub off and fade away after periods of time so continue to reapply throughout the day, especially when jumping in and out of water.
- Pay attention to the ingredients in your sunscreen products.
- Always protect your face. Apply sunscreen and pack a hat or umbrella to seek coverage when you need an escape from the sun.
- Each sunburn can double your chance of skin cancers, especially sunburns in your youth.
Always remember to be responsible when enjoying the sun this summer. Use sunscreen and have fun!