This heart-healthy recipe is high in fiber and low in cholesterol. A great way to start your day!
⅔ cup milk (nonfat, dry)
1 pinch salt
2¾ cups water
2 cups oats (quick cooking)
2 bananas (very ripe, mashed)
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 Tbsp. walnuts (chopped)
Optional: Substitute 2 cups water or 2 cups skim milk for the reconstituted nonfat dry milk.
- In a small saucepan, combine reconstituted nonfat dry milk, salt and water.
- Heat over medium heat until steaming hot, but not boiling.
- Add oats and cook, stirring until creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in mashed banana and maple syrup.
- Divide between four bowls, garnish with walnuts and serve.
Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 340 calories, 6g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 60g carbohydrates, 6g dietary fiber, 25g sugar, 14g protein.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.