As the holiday season of big feasts, hearty portions and sweet treats winds down, you may be ready to tackle that “eat healthier” resolution. But wait! There’s a New Year’s party and, then, the Super Bowl. You may even roll out the red carpet for an Academy Awards party.
Although a festive gathering isn’t complete without food, you don’t have to resort to unhealthy options like chips and cookies from the store. Whether hosting your own soiree or supplying a dish at a friend’s place, providing healthy options can be easy. If you prefer to grab and go, veggies with dip or a fruit plate can be a refreshing snack after heavy holiday items.
If a slower pace after the holidays has given you more time on your hands, you may want to get more creative and make something. Try this quick and healthy appetizer recipe that tastes good, and is good for you!
Turkey pinwheel appetizers
- 1 package cream cheese, low fat (8 ounce, garlic and herb)
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inch)
- 6 slices turkey
- 3 Roma tomatoes (small, chopped)
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves (fresh)
- Place tortillas on microwaveable plate or paper towel; microwave uncovered on high for 10–15 seconds to soften.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons cream cheese over each tortilla.
- Top with a slice of turkey, chopped tomatoes and spinach.
- Roll up lightly; then wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours to blend flavors.
- Cut each roll into eight 1-inch slices. Arrange with cut side down on serving plate.
Makes 16 servings. Per serving (3 pinwheels): 100 calories, 4g total fat, 15mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 13g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 3g sugar, 4g protein.
Recipes courtesy of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.