Post by Jessica Tucker, Operation Manager at Rex Wellness Center of Wakefield.
With each passing year, hopefully we learn better ways to care for ourselves. For some, this means going to the doctor regularly. For others, it means reducing stress, eating better or simply making better use of our time. There are plenty of ways to interpret self-care. The concept seems foreign for those of us who dedicate our time to taking care of the world and people around us. But, if we take purposeful steps toward self-care and share our experiences with those we care about, you will find that it is time well-spent and can often be contagious! Here is the challenge I am proposing… take out a calendar and write down 3 action steps you take this month to help improve your self-care.
Here are some simple, low-cost ideas that work for me:
- Take a bath
- Drink 10 glasses of water
- Read a daily affirmation upon waking in the morning
- Write a letter to someone
- Eat a raw diet for the day
- Go for a walk (don’t count the calories or bring the ipod!)
- Work some long division or multiplication problems
- Color or draw something (no one has to see it)
- Take 3 deep breaths at every stoplight
- Stretch for 5 minutes
- Have your daily coffee or tea in a real mug instead of to-go!
- Write in a nightly journal
- Find a few special things that you know work for you and help make you whole and happy
You might be surprised at the feeling of relief and wellbeing you experience from sprinkling a few little things into your daily routine. Here’s the next challenge… tell someone! If you have succeeded in doing a few things that help you feel great, pass it along to those you care about. We have the opportunity every day to plant the seed for good health in those around us. If we can take a little better care of ourselves, we can extend this same care to others by sharing our experience. Take the challenge… spread the love!